Pictureless Postcard from the Pacific

As we are unable to upload pictures onto our blogs I thought I would try and paint a picture of what we’re experiencing. Not much has been happening, although this is a good thing on a passage, so there’s not much news to write about. We have been making good speed the last few days and are a bit over 750 miles from our first stop.
I was tickled pink when the Captain thoroughly enjoyed the lunch of sushi and tempura vegetables that I just served. I am really scraping the bottom of the barrel with our fresh vegetables but I’m getting the most out of the last carrot – which was huge, potatoes and a small pumpkin that has come from Panama market. I made a corn salad for the sushi and Thomas had tuna and onion in tomato sauce on his. The vegetable tempura was a mixture of potato, onion and pumpkin. It was delicious.
Cooking the meals is the highlight of my day. It challenges me and gives me something to do to kill the time. It’s like I’m in slow motion and what would normally take half an hour takes about an hour and a half on a crossing. To reconstruct how cooking in a galley goes in your own home, you would have to be incredibly drunk, tie one leg behind you and have someone throw items from the bench that you rest there. Rubber mats are a god send but you need to ensure the centre of gravity doesn’t take over and still send the item flying. We are in about 20kts of wind so the waves are quite choppy – about 4 metres high. When the wind comes from the back of the boat the boat is tossed about like a cork flinging hard from one side to the next. It is the unexpected wave that will catch you each time. I use a high sided tray on a rubber mat to place all my cooking items. Before I start the stove, I am thoroughly prepared like a T.V. presenter, with all the ingredients in containers. Everything
is returned to its place immediately after use or it becomes a missile. Most of my cupboards are in arms length of the centre of the galley. The tray triples as a serving tray for getting everything upstairs in one go into the cockpit and also as a dish drain. I am currently washing all the dishes in salt water as it is so clean out here. This conserves our supply as we’ve heard it is difficult to fill up with water anywhere in French Polynesia. We will be relying mainly on our water maker.
A recent visitor to Qi pointed out our abundance of hand grips through out the boat, I couldn’t imagine any less as we try and move about the boat without injuring our selves. I guess we’re lucky with the great design of Qi. She was made for this.
Upstairs there is a sunny blue sky and the waves are endless with a white chop and a hint of green at the top. That’s about it for every direction. We are studying the few clouds and referring to books to learn more about our forecasting. I am spending from 40minutes to an hour dancing for exercise at the shrouds but I am hanging on quite tightly in these rough conditions. Odd aches and pains can come about on a crossing from the lack of walking and I swear we’d get bed sores on our butts if we didn’t exercise. Rocking all night in your sleep can cause a tired back and this is where my bean bag helps. I snuggle down into it so its only a gentle rocking that occurs and I sleep soundly in between my watches. So we are just reading, playing games and watching movies to kill the time.
Even the bird life is getting a bit scarce and we both get pretty excited when we spot one or more. The flying fish remain suicidal and need cleaning off the deck each day. Other than that it’s just Qi, the Captain and me…

This entry was posted in Travel. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *